LRUT – Long Range Ultrasonic Testing
LRUT has been employed for screening piping systems above ground as a result of the high production coverage rates as opposed to manual techniques, but it still remains the only reliable technique for screening pipe systems underground or underwater where access is often limited or very costly to gain access for manual contact techniques. The technology continues to be improved and the number of applications utilizing this system has greatly expanded.
The technology operates by placement of an array of probes placed in a belt, circumferentially wrapped around the pipe being inspected. The system then generates ultrasonic guided waves longitudinally down the length of pipe; distance covered by the ultrasonic waves is dependent on a number of factors related to pipe coating, branch connections, fittings and above ground or buried locations. The system can inspect both directions from each inspection location and therefore can maximize production.
Advantages of LRUT
- High productivity inspection with long-range coverage and rapid screening
- Ability to scan pipes with limited access
- 100% screening coverage of pipe wall
- Cost effective solution for pipe integrity management programs
- In service inspection(no production shutdown)